Building a Grant Proposal
Elements of Direct Costs
- Salaries and wages – calculated in person months
- Fringe Benefits
- Equipment (Cost of stand-alone item must be greater than $5,000)
- Travel (Domestic and International)
- Participant Support Costs (Stipend, Travel, Subsistence, Other)
- Other Direct Costs
- Expendable supplies and materials
- Consultant Services
- Subcontracts (Indirects are charged on the first $25,000 only)
- Other (Tuition and Fees)
(56.5% for start dates beginning 7/1/19)
- Negotiated with the federal government
- Supports the university infrastructure
- Reduced rates must be justified (provide documentation from funding agency)
- Total Direct Cost (TDC) vs Modified Total Direct Cost (MTDC):
MTDC = TDC less equipment, participant support, tuition and fees and subcontract over the first $25,000
The amounts requested for each budget line item should be documented and justified in the Budget Justification.
MSU Technologies - Intellectual property, licensing and technology commercialization.
MSU Business-CONNECT - Establishes research partnerships with business and industry
MSU Office of Export Controls & Trade Sanctions - Handles the export of sensitive technologies, equipment, software, biological agents, and related data and services.
MSU Office of Regulatory Affairs - Research compliance for federal, state and university policies